Archdiocese of Toronto – Toronto, ON
- First point of contact for media inquiries and parish filming requests for the largest diocese in Canada.
- Oversee internal communications with 230 parishes and over 200 chancery employees.
- Create written and video content for organizational website (archtoronto.org). Update elements of website using Microsoft SharePoint.
- Copy editor for online content, biweekly internal newsletter, memos, press releases and job postings using Canadian Press and Catholic Press Association styles.
- Assist with media training for staff and lay people.
- Act as media spokesperson for the archdiocese on certain topics.
- Draft greetings and congratulatory greetings on behalf of the cardinal archbishop.
- Conduct daily media monitoring and analysis using Meltwater software and send weekly media analysis report to key archdiocesan stakeholders.
- Foster relationships with communications partners including local Catholic school boards, Catholic hospitals, lay movements, religious orders, and telecommunications and media monitoring vendors.
- Film and edit stories for archdiocesan YouTube channel using Final Cut Express and Adobe Premiere.
- Conduct quantitative research for organizational planning. Create surveys using SurveyMonkey.
- Implement strategies for effective list management and RSVP tracking for large events. Assist with planning of major events including the recent rededication of St. Michael’s Cathedral.
- Oversee corporate cell phone contracts for archdiocesan staff and clergy.
- Participate in archdiocesan committees including the Shepherds’ Trust Communications Committee (fundraising for retired priests), the 175th Anniversary Committee, Refugee Sponsorship Committee and the Parish Vitality Committee.
Permanent Observer Mission of the Holy See to the United Nations
New York, NY
Sept. 2011-June 2012
- Assisted with the diplomatic work of the Holy See at the United Nations.
- Attended daily meetings of the General Assembly’s 3rd Committee (social, humanitarian and cultural issues).
- Prepared daily written and oral summary briefings of meetings attended.
- Built relationships with other delegations and non-governmental organizations.
Future Electronics – Pointe Claire (Montreal), QC
Communications and Marketing Coordinator, FAI Electronics
- Created international advertising campaigns, including copy writing for brochures and ads.
- Copy edited material for professional brochures and internal publications.
- Worked with graphic designers to create advertising materials.
CTV Atlantic – Halifax, NS
- Completed 10 stories for local newscasts and wrote scripts for six o’clock news using iNEWS software.
- Picked and transcribed interview clips on behalf of reporters.
- Conducted a number interviews and “streeters.” Participated in news scrums.
National Research Council of Canada – Institute for Marine Biosciences
May 2010-April 2011
Student Communication Officer
- Created communications materials including media releases, internal website content, slide presentations, videos, media scan reports and public speaking training materials for scientists.
- Trained employees to use intranet software.
- Conducted qualitative and quantitative communications research.
- Planned and prepared an event for 200 grade five students.
Catholic Christian Outreach – Dalhousie University, Halifax
September 2008-April 2009
Missionary, Campus VINE Program
- Led small groups and trained students in leadership skills. Planned and executed events.
- Acted as media liaison during the organization’s 20th anniversary year.
- Assisted in organization’s fundraising efforts. Fundraised living expenses for my volunteer period.
Association of Roman Catholic Communicators of Canada (ARCCC) January 2015-Present
VP, Central Region; Membership and Communications Chair
- Maintain content on organization’s website, arccc.ca.
- Oversee organization’s social media, including Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Recruit new members. Implemented online membership renewal and online payment procedure.
- Network with key stakeholders in Catholic Communications.
- Suggest topics for regular membership training calls.
Centre for Addition and Mental Health
- Lead runs with patients and staff of CAMH during summer months to encourage fitness as an integral part of a healthy lifestyle and overall mental health.
University of King’s College
Graduated April 2011
Bachelor of Journalism (One-year Program)
- Completed comprehensive theoretical journalism training and hands-on TV news workshop, narrative non-fiction workshop and TV documentary workshop.
University of Ottawa
Graduated Magna Cum Laude April 2010
Bachelor of Arts, Specialization in Communication and Minor in Religious Studies
- Focused on media studies and some organizational communication.
- Took classes in new media, social implications of media, and quantitative and qualitative research.
- Social networking – Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn.
- Website maintenance using SharePoint, Dreamweaver, WordPress, Wix and CMS.
- Mac OS X and Windows 10.
- Microsoft Office for Mac and Windows (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Video editing using Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro & Express, Soundtrack Pro, iMovie, and Garage Band.
- Filming and basic photography.
- Basic Photoshop and GIMP.
- Strong networking and relational skills. Able to maintain strong relationships with journalistic sources,
co-workers, clients and financial benefactors. Excellent sense of humour.
- Excellent understanding of human temperaments and working with different personalities. Ability to work and dialogue with people of all ages, including children and the elderly.
- Extensive public speaking experience in large and small groups.
- Motivated to learn from the experience of others by asking questions and taking initiative to observe processes in action.
Reading, Writing and Oral Communication
- Proficient in written and oral English. Basic conversational French.
- Strong attention to detail in writing. Excellent understanding and use of proper grammar and syntax as well as multiple citation styles and Canadian Press standards. Completed introductory copy editing course with Editor’s Association of Canada in November 2016.
- Experience writing and editing news articles, academic papers and professional materials.
- Voracious reader of non-fiction and fiction.
- Music (guitar, ukulele, trumpet). Past member of uOttawa Jazz Ensemble. Graduate of arts high school.
- Sports and outdoor adventure, including backcountry camping and hiking. Triathlete and member of Ryerson Masters Swim Team.
- Reading, writing and videography.